Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Mom's Guilty Conscious Pays Off -- Cuenca's Shish Kabob for me!!! by Star

Last Thursday mom and dad went out to dinner. I usually don't mind staying home alone, but for some reason I really wanted to go this time. I looked at mom with my 'poor me' eyes, but she didn't budge. They told me to take care of the house and that they would be back soon, closed the door and left. I knew my eyes had some effect on mom, I just didn't know how much!

About an hour and a half later I hear the door and then I smell some of those delicious Shish Kabobs that always tease my senses in the streets of Cuenca. Am I dreaming? I must be... Nope ... those 'poor me' eyes worked! Not exactly what I had in mind, but this was way better.

Mom paid a total of 50 cents for this delicious Cuencano dish. A complete meal on a stick: plantain, peppers, tomato, steak, and sausage. Just delish!!!

Mom and dad were also happy about their dinner. They had gone out with 3 friends and the five of them ate for $6.70! Hot chocolate, chicken and pork tamales and humitas with cheese for mom, the vegetarian. They went to Calle de las Herrerias which is a very old street close to our house. It's filled with metal workers and food stands that come alive at night.

I think that I'm going to use my "poor me" look more often. It really pays off.

2 comments:

  1. Star,

    You are very fortunate to have parents that love you so much. My folks are pretty swell too. If our Mom and Dad like Cuenca when they visit in Oct., we could be neighbors. Mom says Cuenca is cooler than TN, so with my fur coat I am looking forward to cooler weather. My little brother, Hunter, is a pretty good playmate. I am sure we could all have a great time at the park. Hope to meet you soon!

    Barkley the goldendoodle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barkley -- I sure hope you move to Cuenca. I love it here and I'm sure you and Hunter will too. Yes, it is cool and nice here. I have a thick coat and there is no need for a shave here, no fleas or heart-worms either. I will soon share my adventure at an Inca ruin last week. I bet you, Hunter and I could really run and have fun there. Tell your mom that my mom will love to meet her when she comes down. Have her email her. See you soon... I hope :-)

    ReplyDelete