Search This Blog

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mom and her Veggies!!! by Star

"This land is so fertile" my mom says. I have no idea what she means, but it must have something to do with her veggies! In one of our first walks after we arrived in Cuenca, we went by a building that mom called the old Ma Bell of Ecuador: Etapa. Right next to this building there is a farm; yes a farm in the middle of the city. Both, building and farm are as close as you can get to the bank of one the four rivers of Cuenca, the Yanuncay river. "Look at the size of the cabbage...OMG," mom says every time we go by this farm which is everyday!!!

Today is Thursday and mom discovered last week that every Thursday there are two ladies that set a small fresh veggie stall within two blocks from our house. As we were coming back home from our long walk and before reaching the ladies, we went by the farm. You would have thought mom had won the lottery or something. She was so happy when she found that the farmer was selling today, and she immediately bought some Swiss Chard and beets, all for $1. She was in heaven..."This is truly farm to table" she told me. I have no idea what she was talking about. But she was happy, so I knew it was something good.


Then we stopped at the stall by the house and she bought some carrots and other veggies that will probably end up in my chicken tomorrow.

And so, today was a happy day for my mom! It doesn't take much to make her happy as long as she has me and her veggies.... and I am glad.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh this is so wonderful!!!Is most of what I see in the picture of the lady in front of her stall local??? I would think that you can have fresh veggies all year long!!! That would make me want to move there!!!! So how's the weather been for you!!! Love to you all! j

    ReplyDelete