Search This Blog

Monday, October 24, 2011

Benefits of Looking Like an Ecuadorian Dog by Star

Like most Ecuadorian dogs I'm mixed, not a purebred. I'm mostly Australian Shepherd and Border Collie, but I got other three different breeds in me including a tiny little bit of Chihuahua, of which my mom loves to remind me every time she can. She thinks it is pretty funny. 

The main benefit of looking like an Ecuadorian dog is that I'm not prey to those people who steal dogs. Most people here in Cuenca don't even realize I'm a Gringo dog, except for the fact that I only understand English and I'm still working on my Spanish. Also when we go to the park I do some agility and catch ball like no Ecuadorian dog I know, so I give myself away as the Gringo dog I am. My mom is extremely protective of me, that's just the way she has always been. But, I don't think she has to worry about anybody trying to steal me. Looking average can be a really good thing here in Ecuador, but it doesn't prevent heartaches.

Two weeks ago my friend Coco was stolen. She is a gorgeous chocolate Pomeranian. I didn't get the opportunity to really get to know her. I only saw her in Parque Paraiso once with the rest of her pack: Zoe, Jack, Jimbo, and Dusty. I know I can be great friends with Coco. Coco has won all kinds of agility medals and I'm sure I can learn a lot from her. We all have prayed for her safe return for the last two weeks.
If you are coming to Cuenca and you have a purebred dog just be careful. There is no need to be paranoid, not everyone is out to steal dogs. But a bit of extra care is important.

Mom passed out flyers about Coco this weekend and she heard from five different Cuencanos about how their dogs were stolen. In every single instance, however, the dogs had escaped their yards and were roaming around the neighborhood. So, it was different than what happened to Coco who was stolen from her yard.

My advice: don't talk to strangers and don't leave your house without mom or dad.

1 comment:

  1. That is such a shame about Coco. It's hard to believe such a thing could happen.

    Hopefully Coco can be found and returned home. She is such a beautiful dog!!

    ReplyDelete